Nick’s Perfect-Every-Time White Rice Recipe
- Published on: 15 July, 2020
- Last update: 15 July, 2020
White rice = kryptonite in my household.
Growing up in New York, I developed my love for rice veryyyyy early on in life thanks to eating many dinners at my Puerto Rican and Dominican friends’ houses. And while white rice is a staple of many different cultures, I have never come across anyone who makes it better than the love of my life Nicholas Vazquez aka @chefnickyjam. (Posting his Instagram here because maybe if enough of us bug him, he’ll finally start sharing recipes over there ;)!) All of our friends devour it every single weekend and he always ends up making multiple batches.
Anyway, I won’t bore you with a long intro ’cause I know you’re here to get to business. Get ready for the best rice of your life, and don’t forget that you can also watch this recipe in video form on my Instagram Highlights! xo
1.5 cups organic jasmine rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small knob of butter
3 cups water
- Wash the rice thoroughly in a strainer.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a pan over high heat, allowing the pan and oil to get nice and hot.
- Add the freshly washed rice (wet and all) to the hot pan with oil. Salt it to taste and pan fry it for several minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon to avoid clumps or sticking.
- Add 3 cups of water while it’s still on high heat. You want to hear a nice steamy sizzle. Immediately stir again to prevent sticking. Continue stirring gently until it boils.
- Right when it’s about to boil, add a small knob of butter and mix in.
- After another minute or two, the rice will start to soak in the water.
- Mix one last time. You’ll start to see bubbles come up all over. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Cover it and cook for 20 minutes without touching it again.
Simple, I know… but it’s the tiny little details that make it life-changing. I hope you guys love this recipe, and I can’t wait to share more from Nick’s kitchen.