6 Ingredient Plantain Pizza Crust Recipe (Vegan + Gluten Free)
- Published on: 10 February, 2018
- Last update: 14 February, 2018
Are you ready for the easiest pizza crust recipe ever? Do you love plantains as much as I do? Did we just become best friends?
We’re about to embark on a journey that turns 3 ordinary plantains into a big fluffy pizza that:
- a) is incredibly healthy, and
- b) won’t hurt your stomach.
No gluten, flour, grains, eggs, dairy, or soy required… so your gut will be just as happy as your taste buds. It does taste like your usual dough or crust, but it also tastes like pasteles if you’re familiar with those. More than anything, it takes on the flavor of the sauce you use so as long as you pick a good one, you’re set. My favorite will always be pesto so I went with that, but feel free to use a classic tomato sauce too!
Here’s a fun 1 minute video to give you a visual of the process! Scroll down after for a written version of the full instructions. 🙂
- 3 large green plantains (peeled and chopped)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 450° F.
- Place your peeled and chopped plantains into your food processor.
- Add the water, olive oil, and garlic. Blend until smooth, scraping the sides if needed.
- Add the sea salt and baking soda. Blend again making sure everything is well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a parchment-paper lined baking tray and spread it evenly into a circle. I like to leave a thicker border to mimic pizza crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, add a generous helping of pizza sauce, and layer your cheese on top. I chose Miyoko’s vegan mozzarella because it melts and bakes just like real cheese (and there’s no soy like other vegan cheeses).
- Pop it back in the oven until the cheese is fully melted and the crust crisps up some more. (For me, this was another 20 minutes, but part of that is because Miyoko’s takes a while to melt and get golden).
- ENJOY! 🙂
Hope you have a wonderful weekend 🙂