Benefits of a Clay Armpit Detox

• Published on: 18 December, 2016
  • Last update: 01 October, 2017

Every few months I do an armpit detox with clay & apple cider vinegar, and it feels SO good! I actually fell right asleep after my treatment today.

If you’ve been feeling sluggish, getting sick often, and/or notice tender lymph nodes, this underarm mask can improve lymphatic circulation & make you feel better! This is great for reducing armpit odor and getting rid of buildup from years of hormone disrupting anti-perspirants.

Also, many people who switch to natural deodorants experience a detox rash or increased smell as their pores are no longer being closed off by chemicals and can finally release. This can speed the removal of the toxins behind that reaction & ease the transition.

9979bc5eaa30ab1c9154f21620c9d082

The $18 billion dollar antiperspirant industry tells us that sweat is an unsightly issue that needs to be suppressed with aluminum, phthalates, and countless other chemicals. The truth is that your body is a beautiful machine, and armpits are the location of lymph nodes that are constantly fighting to filter viruses, toxins, and cancer cells. Sweat is a public transit system for these toxins, and the exit ramp NEEDS to be open!

If your armpits are emitting more odor than usual, your lymph nodes are working hard on an extra large burden and could use help rather than suppression. This is why we smell more after consuming heavy/disruptive substances that are hard on the lymph such as alcohol & dairy.

graphic-of-lymph-nodes-in-upper-body screen-shot-2016-07-02-at-7-20-19-pm

Clay & ACV works to draw out chemicals and boost lymph detox so that you can switch to natural deodorant & also smell better when you do! Even if you’ve been using natural deo for years, it’s good to do this every few months to keep things running smoothly.

Ingredients

Directions

1. Mix the clay and vinegar with a spoon or two of water to achieve a paste-like consistency.
2. Spread a thin layer on each armpit, leaving on for ~15 minutes.
3. Rinse off in the shower using a soft washcloth then dry the armpits thoroughly. I like to lightly moisturize with oil, then apply natural deo.
4. Repeat every few days at first until your body odor has settled down if it’s strong.
5. Drink a LOT of water and be sure to move your body each day!

Cassie

Hi Olivia! I have been using natural deodorant for about 4 months now and I still REEK. I do the detox about once a week, but I cannot get that body odor smell under control. Any tips? I’m at the point where I’ve tried three different brands of natural deodorants and am ready to go back to regular deodorants 🙁

dana

Hi Cassie – Olivia suggests you get a better natural deo – she likes the Meow Meow Tweet brand. You can also do clay masks on armpits or try adding chlorophyll to water in order to deodorize the body from the inside out. (Anything rich in chlorophyll will help with this, such as parsley juice, eating lots of greens etc). – Team Organic Olivia

Diana

Where does one get this clay? And natural deodorants? TY!

erica

I ordered bentonite clay from amazon. I actually use this same mixture on my face!

Nini

Cynthia

Thank you for this great info!

Courtney

Do you have a recipe for natural deodorant? And would it work against sweating? I use clinical strength and still have wet arm pits daily. So embarrassing! I love your tips! Please keep them coming. 🙂

Nini

The aluminum in conventional deodorants physically clog our pores to ‘prevent’ us from sweating, but sweat has no where else to go but out and makes us sweat more! I used to use clinical strength because I thought I had a sweating problem, now I just use the juice of a lemon (just squeeze and slap it on, not sticky) or primal pit paste or shmidt’s 🙂

Kaitlin

Hi Olivia! I just have French pink clay -which is also good for sensitive skin if you haven’t tried it yet!- would that be ok to use, too?

Rakshali

Can I use Fuller’s earth.

Stephanie Strom

love this! so clever for an easy switch to natural deodorants which is what i’m going through right now. Olivia, can you do another article on all the other uses of bentonite clay? Im interested in how you use this in your daily life!

Lily

Hi Olivia! Is it possible to substitute bentonite or red clay with other purifying powders such as White or Green Clay or Neem Powder? Thank you!

@ORGANIC_OLIVIA 220K followers
I just posted a new blog post & it’s one of those long personal ones like my post after Jamaica on shame & attitudes surrounding sex. This one is called “HOW THE PHYSICAL CAN MIRROR THE EMOTIONAL: MY SCAR STORY” and it veers into lots of emotional/spiritual talk (like mentioning the heart chakra and energetic blockages). If that’s not your thing, skip this one… but if it is, click the link in my bio to read because I felt it was important to share.❤️
🔸
Here’s an excerpt from the post… 👇🏼
🔸
Do you ever think about how emotions can manifest physically in our bodies, whether consciously or subconsciously? Some manifestations are more obvious: stomach “butterflies” when you’re worried or excited, the urge to empty your bladder when you’re scared, or your blood pressure skyrocketing from anger. And yet other manifestations are much more subtle and complex… starving our bodies of nourishment when we hate what we see in the mirror, or abusing a damaging vice (such as drugs) when emotional pain becomes too much to bear.
🔸
When I was 16, I did something very strange to my body. 🔸
I was always the “good girl” - an overachiever who wanted to be PERFECT physically, academically, and any other “ly” I could control. I never wanted tattoos or even a second ear piercing. And yet one day, I woke up and asked someone to pierce my chest — exactly where you see the scar above.
🔸
NONE of my friends could understand why I wanted or did this. I certainly couldn’t figure it out myself. Now 8 years later, it finally makes sense… but we need to go back a bit further first.
🔸
When I was 14, I got into a relationship with an older boy who made me feel extremely special. I thought that feeling was love, but I now understand it was the highs & lows of a game called control. This person hated when I wore certain clothing (even just shorts) to school because “other guys would look at me.” And of course, I was HIS and only his to look at - a bond of ownership that a vulnerable girl with a chaotic home saw as a privilege… READ THE REST OF THE POST @ THE LINK IN MY BIO 👆🏼❤️
SWIPE👉🏼 THANK YOU @FATHEADFRANCES! 😭💘 Forget diamonds… MAGNESIUM is a girl’s best friend. 💎 And yes, I bedazzled my own magnesium kit just for the purpose of this pun. #Dedication ✨ While you’re waiting on the launch of our topical cramp relief salve (which is meant to provide women with a safe self-care tool for immediate relief), give our anti-stress magnesium kit a try to get to the ROOT of the problem. The link is in my bio! 👆🏼
🔸
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, increasing magnesium is one effective way of treating menstrual cramps, as well as other types of menstrual-related pain including headaches and nausea. 🔥
👉🏼 Why? Because magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant! Proper levels are crucial for relaxing both blood vessels AND muscle tension/contractions (including painful menstrual cramping). 👉🏼 Magnesium controls the entry of calcium into each and every cell - this process happens every time a nerve cell fires. Without enough magnesium, too much calcium gets inside the cell resulting in cramping, blood vessel constriction, migraines and anxiety. (Magnesium is required for our muscles to relax, while calcium is needed for contraction).
👉🏼 Red blood cell magnesium is found to be lower in women who have PMS compared to those who don’t. The same was found in headache & migraine sufferers!
👉🏼 On top of all this, magnesium has major benefits for the edema, bloating, depression & mood swings that often accompany menstrual pain. Without going into too much detail, it helps regulate the HPA axis AND decreases something called ‘aldosterone’ which is a major cause of fluid retention.
🔸
✨TO USE MAGNESIUM AS A NATURAL THERAPY FOR CRAMPS: Take 350 mg daily for at least three days leading up to menstruation, continuing through your full cycle. For best results, take 100-300mg daily the rest of the month to replenish stores on a cellular level. ✔️350mg = 1 serving (2 tsp) of our CALM THE MIND magnesium tea, OR
✔️10 sprays of our CALM THE BODY magnesium spray 3x a day. I find it very helpful to spread out these 3 applications morning/noon/night, as a continual intake helps to consistently smooth tense muscle.❤️
😳😳 This is a still frame from the 12:23 mark of my Gua Sha video - all I did was add a black line down the center so you can see the difference between the two sides of my face! 👀The “before” side I didn’t touch with my tools yet, and the “after” side was from the 5-10 minute demo I did scraping in an upward/outwards motion. ✨ It’s like I got a face lift 😂 and my eye looks SO much more open. NO magical creams, just an ancient massage technique that anyone can do at home! That’s what happens when you release the tight fascia and muscles in your face that hold onto so much emotional tension and stress. This is AMAZING for perfectionists and anyone with anxiety who holds tension in their jaw. If you grind your teeth at night, try this right before bed and focus on your neck/jawline area. .
If you haven’t seen my video yet, I embedded it into the new blog post @ the link in my bio. 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼 The blog post contains a written version of everything I said in the video, links to where I got my Gua Sha tools, AND at the end has a whole section dedicated to information about the lymphatic system. ✔️ Why? Because this Gua Sha scraping massage technique is meant to move any stagnant lymphatic fluid in the face that contributes to puffiness, premature aging and blemishes. .
🚨It goes much deeper than beauty, though - did you know that your lymphatic system is twice as big as your circulatory system? (It has a whole network of lymph vessels just like your blood vessels). Yet while your circulatory system has your heart to pump and clean your blood automatically, your lymph has NO built-in pump whatsoever. Lymph only moves manually through exercise, massage, and diet; which is why it’s so easy to get backed up with our modern lifestyle. 🍕 In the blog post I talk about symptoms of a sluggish lymphatic system, the 6 most common causes, and 7 solutions you can implement today to get things moving. 🌀🔥
When you learn about aphrodisiac herbs in class on Valentine's Day