How I Cleared My Acne (Cystic, Hormonal & Digestive Causes)

• Published on: 12 September, 2016
  • Last update: 07 August, 2017

I suffered with acne all throughout high school and into college. Today I have a new YouTube video for you where I talk about how I finally achieved clear skin, the root causes of acne (what your body is trying to tell you!), the supplements I used, and the diet/skin care changes I made. I had cystic acne along with whiteheads AND blackheads (the whole shebang), and my root causes were both digestive and hormonal (forehead and cheeks/jaw).

My skin is not perfect by any means! I still have some uneven texture, whiteheads here and there when I’m stressed or on my period, and some scars from the damage. But I am no longer going through the painful cysts and bumps I used to get every single day. I hope this video helps you get closer to YOUR root cause. Enjoy!

Here are the products I mentioned in this video (in order):

✘ LOWER BOWEL FORMULA: http://amzn.to/2cFzhVi
✘ MY PARASITE CLEANSE: https://www.organicolivia.com/store
✘ VSL #3 (PROBIOTIC): http://amzn.to/2bX98Es [note: I rotate probiotics for diversity, I also use GutPro and Prescript Assist but VSL is my current favorite. Dr. Axe makes a good one too!]
✘ L-LYSINE: http://amzn.to/2csEMr3
✘ EXFOLIATION: apple cider vinegar (I buy mine on Vitacost.com along with all my dry groceries to save money. If you create an account using this link you get $10 off your first order.)
✘ PROBIOTIC ACNE CLEANSER: http://amzn.to/2cFADQ0
✘ FACIAL OIL: http://bit.ly/2c8nr5a

Blog posts that are mentioned or related:

✘ HOW TO FIX YOUR DIGESTION: https://www.organicolivia.com/2016/06/22/everything-you-need-to-know-about-how-to-improve-your-digestion/
✘ WHY IMPROVING YOUR BOWEL MOVEMENTS CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE: https://www.organicolivia.com/2015/12/21/the-complete-guide-to-why-cleaning-out-your-bowels-is-the-most-important-decision-youll-ever-make/
✘ TCM BODY CLOCK: WHY DO WE FEEL ILL AT A CERTAIN TIME OF THE DAY? https://www.organicolivia.com/2014/10/30/tcm-body-clock-why-do-we-wake-up-or-feel-ill-at-a-certain-time-of-day/

dana

Hi Anna – Unfortunately we don’t know which brands would reach Australia. Your best bet would be to walk into a natural food store by you and ask them to show you the various L-Lysine brands and compare it to the one Olivia recommends – Team Organic Olivia

Josue Rodriguez

Can I take all of the products at the same time or I can’t

dana

Yes based on the label recommended dosage and timing – Team Organic Olivia

Taylor

Hello Olivia! I am pleased to have found your blog. I am interested in buying your “parapro formula” and I am wondering if it is necessary to take the probiotics you mention in your “How I cured my acne” video at the same time? Right now I am thinking about starting with l lysine, your parapro formula, and the probiotic cleanser you suggested! I hope to hear back from you. Thank you for everything you do! You are amazing <3

dana

Hi Taylor, the probiotic supplement supports your gut health which we feel is important. You will also get more probiotic strains through a supplement than topically. You can read more about why we suggest taking the supplement in our ebook on the ParaPro found here . Feel free to reach out to support @ organicolivia dot com if we can assist you further – Team Organic Olivia

Chelsea

Hi Olivia, I am 23 and have struggled with acne my whole life. I have tried EVERYTHING it seems and have spent so much time trying to get my skin perfect. I love this video because you really get down to the science of where acne comes from. Some things work for others but everyone has different skin so it usually didn’t work for me. Or it had side effects. Or it would temporarily help my skin and then winter would come and my face would get dry and break out horribly. I love how many facts you read and it has really made me research hormone Imbalance even more. I believe hormone imbalance or not feeding your body the right nutrients is literally the result from any diseases, cancers, etc. im even reading how it can cause insomnia. It’s crazy. Thank you for sharing all this research. The lysine makes so much sense for my skin and body and I think I have too much androgen and DHT. Thank you and keep doing what you’re doing!! It’s great to hear real stories of people who find CURES and not just a drug to mask it

Festina

hi Olivia , after reading several articles of yours I’m not sure how to begin clearing my Body ( and Acne) . Shall I take all the products you mentioned at the same time? and what is the dosage? I really want to give it a try but I first want to know how to use the products before I purchase them 🙂 greetings from Germany!

Deanna

Hi Olivia! The facial oil listed above doesn’t show up on the link anymore. Can we get a suggestion for something else? Thanks!

Samantha

Hi! What was the other acne cleanser that you mentioned? I know you listed the probiotic one but you mentioned one that actually works better? Thanks!

debbie

Hi, Could you please tell me when and how many you take of the VSL, L-lysine and lower bowel? Thanks!

Emily

Hello Olivia ! I’m a big supporter of yours! You’re truly inspirational great job on your work, oh and your articles are amazing! Quick question I’ve been curious on this post as I suffer from acne , I ordered all of the pills and the face wash but I’m pretty much clueless on how offten and how to take all these pills, and is it okay to take them together ? If you could please reply and update me on this I’d really appreciate it. Keep up the good work beautiful!

natalie

Olivia, you are flippen amazing. Thank you so much. What do you use for your scars besides what you mentioned here and castor oil? Your skin looks so amazing now.

Adona

How to remove acne scars/ mark from face. I’m going to use L-lysine, it will prevent getting acne .. how to eliminate acne scars.. thank you so much for your video . Please do reply ..

Sara

Should we take L-Lysine while doing the cleanse?

Raquel

Hello Olivia. I came across your youtube video about acne last night and I would like to know if I can use all the products you listed all together i.e. the lower bowel formula, your parasite cleanse, vsl and l-lysine?

Raquel

also I workout twice a day, so what do you reccomend for washing my face?

Rosalie Delgado

Hi Olivia, I wanted to ask you what do you use for your body when you shower? I am currently dealing with back and chest acne for a little bit over a year now.

Cassie

Do you take the probiotic with the lower bowel formula? Or do you take them in different days?

Joelle

Hi Olivia!! This post was so helpful for my skin!! I am trying to purchase the facial sunshine oil but I am unable to. Is there any other facial oil recommendations you have? Thank you!

Holly

Hi Olivia! I want to say thank you so much for all of your post they’re very helpful and the fact you do your research and go into so much detail is so amazing. My question is about the apple cider vinegar. Do you apply it to your skin straight or dilute it with water first? And how long after do you put on oil? I’ve used oil on my face after the shower for a while now. I find since having my daughter and still breastfeeding going on almost 2 years, has made my skin and scalp drier then usual. Thank you again, I hope to hear from you 🙂 Holly R

@ORGANIC_OLIVIA 220K followers
SWIPE👉🏼 THANK YOU @FATHEADFRANCES! 😭💘 Forget diamonds… MAGNESIUM is a girl’s best friend. 💎 And yes, I bedazzled my own magnesium kit just for the purpose of this pun. #Dedication ✨ While you’re waiting on the launch of our topical cramp relief salve (which is meant to provide women with a safe self-care tool for immediate relief), give our anti-stress magnesium kit a try to get to the ROOT of the problem. The link is in my bio! 👆🏼
🔸
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, increasing magnesium is one effective way of treating menstrual cramps, as well as other types of menstrual-related pain including headaches and nausea. 🔥
👉🏼 Why? Because magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant! Proper levels are crucial for relaxing both blood vessels AND muscle tension/contractions (including painful menstrual cramping). 👉🏼 Magnesium controls the entry of calcium into each and every cell - this process happens every time a nerve cell fires. Without enough magnesium, too much calcium gets inside the cell resulting in cramping, blood vessel constriction, migraines and anxiety. (Magnesium is required for our muscles to relax, while calcium is needed for contraction).
👉🏼 Red blood cell magnesium is found to be lower in women who have PMS compared to those who don’t. The same was found in headache & migraine sufferers!
👉🏼 On top of all this, magnesium has major benefits for the edema, bloating, depression & mood swings that often accompany menstrual pain. Without going into too much detail, it helps regulate the HPA axis AND decreases something called ‘aldosterone’ which is a major cause of fluid retention.
🔸
✨TO USE MAGNESIUM AS A NATURAL THERAPY FOR CRAMPS: Take 350 mg daily for at least three days leading up to menstruation, continuing through your full cycle. For best results, take 100-300mg daily the rest of the month to replenish stores on a cellular level. ✔️350mg = 1 serving (2 tsp) of our CALM THE MIND magnesium tea, OR
✔️10 sprays of our CALM THE BODY magnesium spray 3x a day. I find it very helpful to spread out these 3 applications morning/noon/night, as a continual intake helps to consistently smooth tense muscle.❤️
😳😳 This is a still frame from the 12:23 mark of my Gua Sha video - all I did was add a black line down the center so you can see the difference between the two sides of my face! 👀The “before” side I didn’t touch with my tools yet, and the “after” side was from the 5-10 minute demo I did scraping in an upward/outwards motion. ✨ It’s like I got a face lift 😂 and my eye looks SO much more open. NO magical creams, just an ancient massage technique that anyone can do at home! That’s what happens when you release the tight fascia and muscles in your face that hold onto so much emotional tension and stress. This is AMAZING for perfectionists and anyone with anxiety who holds tension in their jaw. If you grind your teeth at night, try this right before bed and focus on your neck/jawline area. .
If you haven’t seen my video yet, I embedded it into the new blog post @ the link in my bio. 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼 The blog post contains a written version of everything I said in the video, links to where I got my Gua Sha tools, AND at the end has a whole section dedicated to information about the lymphatic system. ✔️ Why? Because this Gua Sha scraping massage technique is meant to move any stagnant lymphatic fluid in the face that contributes to puffiness, premature aging and blemishes. .
🚨It goes much deeper than beauty, though - did you know that your lymphatic system is twice as big as your circulatory system? (It has a whole network of lymph vessels just like your blood vessels). Yet while your circulatory system has your heart to pump and clean your blood automatically, your lymph has NO built-in pump whatsoever. Lymph only moves manually through exercise, massage, and diet; which is why it’s so easy to get backed up with our modern lifestyle. 🍕 In the blog post I talk about symptoms of a sluggish lymphatic system, the 6 most common causes, and 7 solutions you can implement today to get things moving. 🌀🔥
When you learn about aphrodisiac herbs in class on Valentine's Day
Have you ever had an annoying cough that lasted for weeks (or even months) after a cold or upper respiratory infection?😤 In the medical world, this lingering cough is called a “PPC” (persistent post-infectious cough) and is usually treated with strong oral steroid drugs.💊 These drugs can have serious side effects and only suppress the symptoms, rather than eradicate the root cause.👎🏼 Scientists decided to test a much safer “folk remedy” - the combination of coffee and honey - and found that it was far more effective than the steroids!🍯
✨STUDY FINDINGS:
✔️A 2013 study carried out a double-blind randomized controlled trial, in which the effectiveness of three treatments for reducing the severity of PPC were compared:
1️⃣ One group received a paste containing instant coffee and honey☕️
2️⃣ The second group received a paste containing steroid medication (prednisolone)💊
3️⃣ The third group (control) received a paste containing non-steroidal cough syrup (guaifenesin)💧
✔️Study participants were instructed to dissolve 1 tablespoon of the given treatment paste in warm water and consume every 8 hours (3x/day) for one week. ✔️Cough frequency was measured directly before treatment began and one week after treatment was completed (using a questionnaire completed by physicians who evaluated the patients). The questionnaire graded coughs on a scale of 0 (low) to 3 (high).
✨RESULTS:
✖️ All 3 groups were similar in scores of cough frequency when the study began (the coffee-honey group started at a mean score of 2.9, the steroid group started at a mean score of 3.0, and the control group started at 2.8).
✖️ After treatment, the coffee-honey group had the greatest decrease in cough frequency with shocking drop to 0.2! The steroid group, while significant, only dropped to 2.4. The control group had no significant change with a final mean of 2.7. ✖️ The coffee-honey mixture had a much greater therapeutic effect - the numbers speak for themselves!
✨WHY THE COMBINATION WORKS:
✔️An arabinogalactan-protein extract from coffee was recently found to have anti-tussive (cough-relieving) and immunomodulating activity. .
👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼CONTINUED BELOW👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼