10 Plantain Benefits: Helps PMS, Sexual Health & Blood Sugar

• Published on: 04 May, 2016
  • Last update: 25 May, 2018

Did you know that plantains can help reduce the incidence of PMS & menstrual cramps in women, while boosting sexual health in men? Folk physicians of ancient Persia, Africa and India regarded this golden fruit as nature’s secret of perpetual youth. I’ve been eating them as a carbohydrate source after my workouts (lightly steamed and pan fried in a small amount of coconut oil).

Here’s why they are one of the best post-workout health foods:

1. During exercise, your body loses potassium and magnesium through your sweat. The more you exercise, the more your electrolyte levels decrease. Cooked plantains have more potassium than regular bananas with a whopping 930mg and can help you recuperate fast! Combine them with a protein such as beans for optimal recovery.

2. Yellow plantains have a rich, sweet flavor – yet they’re still complex carbohydrates. This sweet, nourishing quality combined with its steady release makes them the perfect “spleen” food in terms of Chinese Medicine. The green ones have more starch than sweetness, and as a matter of fact contain resistant starch that feeds your gut bacteria. These are also highly strengthening and nourishing in TCM, especially as they assist the gut microbiome.

The “spleen” system in TCM governs your digestive ability, stomach, circulation of nutrients to the muscles. If the Spleen is weak, then the muscles and limbs become weak and tired. Other symptoms of a weak spleen include digestive issues, fatigue, varicose veins, obsessive worry/anxiety, and craving sweets.

Theory-of-the-Five-elements1

3. They can help you sleep better and remember more of your dreams thanks to their bioavailable vitamin B6 content.

4. A diet rich in vitamin B6 as well as magnesium, which is also present in plantains, has been found to decrease the incidence of premenstrual syndrome and its associated symptoms like depression, cramping and water retention. High vitamin B6 intake has also been linked with lower risk of miscarriage.

dreamstime_m_32331094

5. Because of the complex carbohydrates, green plantains have a naturally low glycemic index of 38. They won’t spike your blood glucose like bread, crackers, or cereals will.

7. Roasted plantain fruit is good for men with weak erections or low sperm counts. They help to rejuvenate sexual organs with their high level of potassium and nutrients. They are libido enhancing & strength building.

8. The use of plantains has been found beneficial in the treatments of several other conditions such as intestinal disorders, constipation, arthritis, gout, anemia, kidney stones, tuberculosis and urinary disorders. Eating them boiled and mashed would be best for these purposes.

9. Green plantains contain probiotic-boosting fiber and starch: resistant starch and pectin.

Plantains

10. In Nigerian medicine, green plantain, pure honey, cloves, and walnuts are ground or mashed together to make a paste. The paste is then sun-dried to form a cake or flakes that can be eaten in order to improve sexual function, boost libido, and relieve sexual coldness.

11. Nigerian research published in Experimental Clinical Pharmacology and indicates that, in the mammalian model used, extracts of green plantain possess blood sugar-lowering activity. Their results support the ‘folklore’ use of plantains in the control of type-2 diabetes among the Yoruba-speaking people of South-Western Nigeria.

12. Lastly, this crop has been studied for its flavonoid compounds and it was discovered that plantain is a rich source of leucocyanidin. Leucocyanidin controls gastric secretion and therefore is a common natural remedy for peptic ulcers.

Have you ever tried my Plantain Pizza Crust recipe? It’s incredibly easy, cheap, and delicious. It’s one of my favorite ways to eat plantains!

DSC_0035

Teddy

I heard plantains were healthy. I am a bit over mid -age male. I didn’t know all this food does, but, I know I love it !!!! I’m also glad to know what it says it does. Question: i tried green plantains. They had no moisture and when fried in a luttle olive oio( i won’t use any other oil like canola, vegetable oil it’s garbage. My question? Why couldn’t i even chew the green plantains? They were inedible like cardboard!! The ripe ones i love ❤️. Research natural HGH

Teddy

I heard plantains were healthy. I am a bit over mid -age male. I didn’t know all this food does, but, I know I love it !!!! I’m also glad to know what it says it does. Question: i tried green plantains. They had no moisture and when fried in a luttle olive oio( i won’t use any other oil like canola, vegetable oil it’s garbage. My question? Why couldn’t i even chew the green plantains? They were ineditable. In the supermarket i talked to a Spanish girl and told her i couldn’t even ear them. I don’t think she understood how awful they were. Oh, she said I’ve been eating them from a kid i guess im used to them! Not what i ate lol ????. I love all kinds of food. Nd always have kept my weight the same from my 20’s.. I had no room. So, please check out HGH human growth hormone. No not the synthetic injections most can’t afford. Its on the market on line and all natural. Do a search. If you heard of it great. If not? Please research it. Thank you Giovanni. Sounds very Italian! Like my last name! Bye

Teddy

Teddy

I heard plantains were healthy. I am a bit over mid -age male. I didn’t know all this food does, but, I know I love it !!!! I’m also glad to know what it says it does. Question: i tryed green plantains. They had no moisture and when fried in a luttle olive oio( i won’t use any other oil like canola, vegetable oil it’s garbage. My question? Why couldn’t i even chew the green plantains? They were ineditable. In the supermarket i talked to a Spanish girl and told her i couldn’t even ear them. I don’t think she understood how awful they were. Oh, she said I’ve been eating them from a kid i guess im used to them! Not what i ate lol ????. I love all kinds of food. Nd always have kept my weight the same from my 20’s. I don’t like nit fitting in my clothes! It’s unhealthy and very bad fir us. Ok TMI !! Please email if you can? I know if you’ve heard of HGH , not what the rich use. In theUS a natural firm of human growth hormone is legal w/ out script. The benefits if what Im reading is true. Actually revitalizes both wonen and men. There are more benefits than space allows. Its what we have a lot of in our 20’s by 40 in some to 60 we nearly have not much left. It from what i read and th source us reliable and many are talking about this. It’s in a liquid 1 ml a day it actually turns the clock back & no side affects like the synthetic firm the rich take. Im going to tet it. Its suppised to lower blood sugar, it revitalizes our cells tightees skin just a hist of amazing Benefits. Thank u for your info. I live in the USA thank you Giovanni sounds Italain like DiDonato !!! I appreciate stuff like this. Oh it is supposed to do something else i think most everyone would like too!! I don’t know you so I will leave it to your imagination!! I know everyone promises what they have increases libido etc. What this HGH does since I’ve read much about it i do believe is n amazing NATURAL product. Mo artificial drugs. Its not expensive so I figure try it. My worry about this is if this is as good as people say? Big pharma will try to monopolize and make it too expensive. Plus its natural and it isn’t found everywhere. The info you gave should still definitely be used. Theres more than plantains but this is how we distance ourselves from processed food which is a killer. Low fat yogurt no fat tastes nasty so tons of processed sugar. I know there are cures from diseases like diabetes, cancer even and many other ailments. The drug companies want the $$$ and don’t care how dangerous their drugs are. The US is one of the worst with the garbage they sell. It’s a disgrace. Well, we do our best and avoid that bad stuff. Sushi i find excellent. Yellow fin tuna sold buy the pound is I would think better than some o the high salt chemical filled foods. Too bad we polluted our water but its better than most food . Take care

Teddy

I heard plantains were healthy. I am a bit over mid -age male. I didn’t know all this food does, but, I know I love it !!!! I’m also glad to know what it says it does. Question: i tryed green plantains. They had no moisture and when fried in a luttle olive oio( i won’t use any other oil like canola, vegetable oil it’s garbage. My question? Why couldn’t i even chew the green plantains? They were ineditable. In the supermarket i talked to a Spanish girl and told her i couldn’t even ear them. I don’t think she understood how awful they were. Oh, she said I’ve been eating them from a kud i guess im used to them! Not what i ate lol ????. I love all kinds of food. Nd always have kept my weight the same from my 20’s. I don’t like nit fitting in my clothes! It’s unhealthy and very bad fir us. Ok TMI !! Please email if you can? I guess my family has a good genetic makeup. I look at least 15 years younger. Kind if difficult to look at ither guts all gray and I really don’t feel different. No not like 25!! A bit difficult if someone looks younger to look at the number, then look in the mirror. Actually its a bit difficult wondering? Where do I fit? When a person is treated younger i guess it makes one feel it. I don’t know if you’ve heard of HGH , not what the rich use. In theUS a natural firm of human growth hormone is legal w/ out script. The benefits if what Im reading is true. Actually revitalizes both wonen and men. There are more benefits than space allows. Its what we have a lot of in our 20’s by 40 in some to 60 we nearly have not much left. It from what i read and th source us reliable and many are talking about this. It’s in a liquid 1 ml a day it actually turns the clock back & no side affects like the synthetic firm the rich take. Im going to tet it. Its suppised to lower blood sugar, it revitalizes our cells tightees skin just a hist of amazing Benefits. Thank u for your info. I live in the USA thank you Giovanni sounds Italain like DiDonato !!! I appreciate stuff like this. Godbless

Giovanna Pisano