10 Plantain Benefits: Helps PMS, Sexual Health & Blood Sugar
- Published on: 04 May, 2016
- Last update: 25 May, 2018
Did you know that plantains can help reduce the incidence of PMS & menstrual cramps in women, while boosting sexual health in men? Folk physicians of ancient Persia, Africa and India regarded this golden fruit as nature’s secret of perpetual youth. I’ve been eating them as a carbohydrate source after my workouts (lightly steamed and pan fried in a small amount of coconut oil).
Here’s why they are one of the best post-workout health foods:
1. During exercise, your body loses potassium and magnesium through your sweat. The more you exercise, the more your electrolyte levels decrease. Cooked plantains have more potassium than regular bananas with a whopping 930mg and can help you recuperate fast! Combine them with a protein such as beans for optimal recovery.
2. Yellow plantains have a rich, sweet flavor – yet they’re still complex carbohydrates. This sweet, nourishing quality combined with its steady release makes them the perfect “spleen” food in terms of Chinese Medicine. The green ones have more starch than sweetness, and as a matter of fact contain resistant starch that feeds your gut bacteria. These are also highly strengthening and nourishing in TCM, especially as they assist the gut microbiome.
The “spleen” system in TCM governs your digestive ability, stomach, circulation of nutrients to the muscles. If the Spleen is weak, then the muscles and limbs become weak and tired. Other symptoms of a weak spleen include digestive issues, fatigue, varicose veins, obsessive worry/anxiety, and craving sweets.
3. They can help you sleep better and remember more of your dreams thanks to their bioavailable vitamin B6 content.
4. A diet rich in vitamin B6 as well as magnesium, which is also present in plantains, has been found to decrease the incidence of premenstrual syndrome and its associated symptoms like depression, cramping and water retention. High vitamin B6 intake has also been linked with lower risk of miscarriage.
5. Because of the complex carbohydrates, green plantains have a naturally low glycemic index of 38. They won’t spike your blood glucose like bread, crackers, or cereals will.
7. Roasted plantain fruit is good for men with weak erections or low sperm counts. They help to rejuvenate sexual organs with their high level of potassium and nutrients. They are libido enhancing & strength building.
8. The use of plantains has been found beneficial in the treatments of several other conditions such as intestinal disorders, constipation, arthritis, gout, anemia, kidney stones, tuberculosis and urinary disorders. Eating them boiled and mashed would be best for these purposes.
9. Green plantains contain probiotic-boosting fiber and starch: resistant starch and pectin.
10. In Nigerian medicine, green plantain, pure honey, cloves, and walnuts are ground or mashed together to make a paste. The paste is then sun-dried to form a cake or flakes that can be eaten in order to improve sexual function, boost libido, and relieve sexual coldness.
11. Nigerian research published in Experimental Clinical Pharmacology and indicates that, in the mammalian model used, extracts of green plantain possess blood sugar-lowering activity. Their results support the ‘folklore’ use of plantains in the control of type-2 diabetes among the Yoruba-speaking people of South-Western Nigeria.
12. Lastly, this crop has been studied for its flavonoid compounds and it was discovered that plantain is a rich source of leucocyanidin. Leucocyanidin controls gastric secretion and therefore is a common natural remedy for peptic ulcers.
Have you ever tried my Plantain Pizza Crust recipe? It’s incredibly easy, cheap, and delicious. It’s one of my favorite ways to eat plantains!