How Celery Juice Can Repair Your Gut by Restoring Stomach Acid (helpful for acid reflux, bloating, acne, autoimmune + more!)

• Published on: 27 November, 2015

Do you have any of the following symptoms or conditions: poor digestion, heaviness after a meal where food just sits there, acid reflux, eczema, food allergies, gastritis, psoriasis, vitiligo, colitis, hair loss, MS, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, autoimmune disease, bloating, undigested food in stool, flatulence, or even nausea after eating/taking supplements?

PHEW! That was a long list. The reason I went through all of those is because every single one of them was implicated as a symptom of OR result of low stomach acid (HCL) production. These findings were published in a scientific paper titled “Hydrochloric Acid: Physiological Functions and Clinical Implications” by Dr. Gregory Kelly in 1997.

Stomach-Acid1 Stomach-Acid2

The short term symptoms (bloating, undigested food in stool, etc.) are a direct result of the low stomach acid prohibiting you from being able to fully digest food or break down proteins.

However, the more serious symptoms like the full-blown medical conditions listed above are a result of long-term low HCL. This is partly due to the fact that HCL is your body’s #1 defense against disease-causing viruses, pathogens and parasites. Many of these disorders are linked to viral infections; for example, see studies linking disorders MS to Epstein Barr Virus here, here, and here.

Without HCL your body cannot properly absorb minerals (i.e. selenium and zinc), which are crucial for your immune system! And finally, without HCL, your food just sits there, putrefying, creating a toxic ammonia gas that floats into your blood stream and makes you tired and/or chronically ill.

index
The good news is that you don’t need a pill to start healing.

You just have to use food as medicine, in the form of celery juice! Drink 16 oz. fresh celery juice on an empty stomach (important) as soon as you wake up.

Celery contains unique sodium compositions, and these mineral salts are bonded with many bioactive trace minerals and nutrients. Celery juice in the morning will strengthen your digestion of everything you eat that day, and over time, the minerals and mineral salts will help to restore your stomach’s HCL.

Other excellent options for repairing your stomach acid include cabbage juice, stress reduction, and manuka honey, which I talk about in this post. Thank you for reading and let me know how it works out if you give it a try!

dana

Hi Laura – yep you can do that! – Team Organic Olivia

dana

We suggest the coffee after – Team Organic Olivia

dana

Hi Ayla – Olivia has Medical Medium as one of her books that she loves 🙂 – Team Organic Olivia

dana

Yes – Team Organic Olivia

Exceltra

Wow this sound awesome, I’ll start drinking celery juice from tomorrow.

Eddie

Are you doing the celery juice? If so, has it helped your digestion or other issues? Thanks

Kate

Hi, I’m curious why the juice is better than just eating the whole celery stalk?

dana

Hi Kate, according to Olivia you’ll get a higher volume of mineral salts as you’re able to consume a larger amount of celery in the form of what you can look at as a concentrated extract (aka the juice). Eating celery is great too, but the juice is potent and easily assimilated -Team Organic Olivia

Lu

To increase my stomach acid, my healthcare provider told me to drink 24 ounces of fresh juiced organic celery (no leaves) – one time- on an empty stomach…first thing after waking. I did it this morning. Will see if I need to do it more or daily, but he said “Only one time!” I have been sick for almost two years with one thing followed by the next. The low stomach acid could be the cause of it all., swollen thyroid, painful arthritic shoulder joints, weak ridged fingernails, chronic severe anemia, unable to absorb iron, etc. I’ve been through several MD”S and have finally given up on them because they don’t understand how the body heals itself. They all prescribe drugs that have side effects that make things worse. Thank goodness for holistic healers!

lynne

hi since i work live in for 5 days . i make 5 bottles of celery juice at home and take it my working place . and put it in the refrigerator . i s that ok . i consume 1 bottle a day

alexa

that is fine! it is best to drink the juice within 1 hour of making it to get all the benefits(:

Jane

This is in the medical medium’s books!

jay

Hi – Can I drink this juice prior to taking my thyroid medication? I normally wait for an hour after taking my thyroid medication to eat anything.

Darcy

Hi Olivia, 32 oz, of celery juice on empty stomach first thing in the morning to increase the hydrochloric acid in the stomach? Isn’t this straight from the wonderful book ‘ Life-Changing Foods: Save Yourself and the Ones You Love with the Hidden Healing Powers of Fruits & Vegetables ‘ by Anthony William , otherwise known as Medical Medium? This is excerpt: To press the reset button on your body, juice celery by itself. For the full effect, drink a full 16oz of fresh celery juice daily- and make sure it’s on empty stomach to raise hydrochloric acid levels most efficiently. For dramatic results, drink two 16 oz. glasses of fresh celery juice a day. Why is he not referenced anywhere in your post? It comes across as your own idea when it actually isn’t !! People only need to go on Instagram and check out all the #celeryjuice hastags to see them all referenced to Medical Medium.

Jeff

Do you make the celery juice yourself?

Carol

Hi Olivia, How long do I do this for? Weeks or months or a year?? I’ve been doing and do see improvement…just wondering about the duration?? Carol

Terry

Affordable juicers can be found at Goodwill and St Vincent de Paul resale stores. I purchased one in perfect condition for $10! Thank you for the tip on Trader Joe’s for well priced organic celery.

Ghaneemah

Thank you for helping many people . I will start drinking celery juice soon. How long will it take to resore stomach hcl with celery juice?

Jessica

HI Olivia! I started drinking 16 oz of celery juice in the am for a week now and I have seen a huge improvement in my skin! I have a lot of digestive problems, which was the main reason why I decided to try this, but I do feel movement in my stomach not long after consuming the juice so I believe it is doing its job in the digestive tract also! Loving your blog and wisdom Thank you!! xx

Stacy

You’re doing a great job Olivia. I follow you on Instagram, YouTube and blog. I’ve been watching your YouTube videos and I can see the change in your face from your first video to now. This encourages me to start working on myself and my health too. I turned 30 years old a few days ago and I’m starting this process as soon as I get my juicer. Thank you for inspiring us to change the way we eat.

Tania

so would you recommend to first drink your weight loss elixir or first the celery juice? Also what would you recommend for a parasite cleanse for someone who lives in belgium where two of the main ingredients ( if my memory serves me well black wallnut and wormwoode) are illegale. I ordered online from the USA before you started your kit then you had launched your very first cleanse ( I even contacted you by email to get it shipped to the USA as I would be vacationing there but didn’t go through with it because of what follows). My order got confiscated by customs and I had to go in front of the food protection association and leave a deposition.explaigin Why I ordered them, why in that quantity, why I had them delivered at my parents house, did I know it was illegale, did I know that they are considered as drugs, etc … I could go to jail for it and get highly fined and it be in my records for a future employer. I travel the world over see my account @anouchkatravels and therefore often from many digestive issues. I was treated in the past from an infection due to parasites (?) but indeed I never got a cure to rid of parasites.

Michelle P.

Hi Olivia- I just gave in to the latest fad…and I HOPE this one works. I have been battling digestive issues for quite some time to no avail. I am going to try the celery first thing in the morning. I eat pretty clean throughout the day, kale, lettuce, chicken, olive oil, banana, protein bar and shake. However, I am always bloated and have gained belly fat just since the NEW Year. I’m 53 but I refuse to go down with all the other women that blame it on Menopause. Do you have any other hints? Michelle

Lainey

Hi Olivia, Can you eat normally immediately after having the celery juice on an empty stomach?

Victoria

Would it be okay if I juiced the celery the night before? I don’t have time in the mornings and always juice the night before and drink the next day. Thanks! 🙂

Kimberly

I’m currently doing your parasite cleanse and now want my entire family to do it! Is it okay/safe for my 13-year-old girls? P.S. You helped me put a finger on aalll my health issues which boiled down to parasites/unhealthy gut at the root. Drank ginger tea 1 month before I started the cleanse and immediately began releasing parasites (and never stopped)! Thank you for all the info!

Edeline

Hi Olivia since I don’t have a juicer and it’s too expensive for me to buy one. What do you recommend me to do instead of a celery juice?

You can actually buy celery juice – the Swiss brand “biotta” makes a pure celery juice. Although honestly, buying a mid-priced juicer one time will save you a lot more money than buying celery juice continuously from the store. It is an investment in your health, and you can find some great ones on amazon for $40-$50.

Caitlin

Do you think it’s ok to do this but with a blender instead and say maybe a 1/4 cup of filtered water? Probably not the tastiest but I’m eager to start this and am without a juicer until payday 😉

Yes! That would be absolutely fine. You will still be getting the fresh minerals from the celery 🙂

Tan

Hi Olivia Does it have to be just plain celery juice in order to be effective or can I mix some fruit and other vegetable juices in there too? Thanks!

Celery juice alone is the most potent and effective. It’s recommended to drink it plain if you can handle the taste. If not, adding an apple for sweetness can work. I know it’s kinda gross alone, but I usually chug it and remind myself of the benefits! Lol xx

Nik

How long should one do this? Is it like a”rest of your life” thing or a few months until you see a change? Love all of your info!!!

kaylyn

Do you have a good method for washing fruits and veggies? What is it and what do you use?

Ayisha

Thanks so much for this post Olivia! I have a question, I just ate toast and jam for breakfast and then I had Gaviscon for indigestion because the doctor and myself are still not sure what I have so she said try it anyway. Is it too late to have celery juice as I have just ate and had that medicine? Thanks x

Mia

Would I drink the celery juice first thing when I wake up or should I oil pull and brush first?

Oil pull and brush first – then have the celery juice 🙂

Katie

Good info, this look like it is all info from Medical Medium Anthony William? He is the one who put this info out there first decades ago

Racquel Wilkins

This is great info, thank you! Do you have a recommendation for a children’s parasite cleanse?

Yes! There is a company called WormOut that makes children’s parasite cleanses for ages 3 and up. xox

ronda

is this something that you prepare on your own with a juicer, or do you purchase this?

I freshly juice it myself every morning with my juicer. It’s best to drink it within 2 or 3 minutes of juicing so that the enzymes are alive.

Mailin

How much celery do you need to get 16oz of juice out of it? I’ve got too many of those symptoms and should definitely try it! :p

I go to Trader Joe’s and buy the big packs of organic celery for $1.69. I usually end up juicing the whole pack for 16 oz. xx

Simone Mauhl

What a co-incidence. I was told this morning that I have a low stomach acid level and it was recommended to drink apple cider vinegar. Will try it for sure now, even though I have the taste.

Charlotte

Thank you so much for writing this. I eat an incredibly nutrient rich, organic, holistic diet and have been so discouraged when noticing undigested food in my stool. It’s feels like I’m LITERALLY flushing my efforts & money down the toilet. I believe it’s not just about what you eat, it’s what your body can absorb! I’m starting this TOMORROW to start healing and increase acid production. Infinite gratitude to you and for all the light that you shine, Olivia.

Sending you so much love. Please let me know how it goes, you are lovely!! xx

Kate

Hey Olivia! I’ve been taking Xymogen’s GastrAcid with the Betaine HCL with every meal for digestive issues and I ran out, so I tried the celery juice! I do drink my lemon water first, then I have the celery juice. I’ve been doing it for about a week now and my digestion does seem to be improved. I have low bile generally, and my poop is usually pale-colored, with undigested food in it, but it’s a nice dark brown color this week and solid. The celery juice is the only thing I’m doing differently.. So I think it’s working!

I am so happy it’s working!! YAY! The change in stool indicates a huuuuge improvement, especially with the liver. I’m really excited to hear this and please keep my updated on your progress 🙂

Shane Dibbs

Excellent Post, awareness is key.. Keep up the good work…

Thank you so much! xx

romee

Thanks!you’re doing a great job!

Thank you so much!!

Mia

Would I drink the celery juice first thing before or after I oil pull and brush my teeth?

amanda

I drink my celery juice before oil pulling, as you should let it work it’s magic for 30 minutes before eating breakfast. So… I juice the celery, drink it, then oil pull for 20 minutes, clean my juicer, and start to make my tea and breakfast. By then it’s been 30 minutes. 🙂

Zaneta

First thing…then wait 10mins as Olivia said in above comment!😌

romee

what to drink first warm water with lemon an ACV or celery juice?

I would say celery juice first, then warm water with lemon 10 minutes later! 🙂

brian

That’s amazing wow I want to try this hope there will be more comment