Eat Honey Before Bed for Deep Sleep, Weight Loss & Liver Health

• Published on: 04 November, 2015

I had the best sleep ever last night, thanks to this spoonful of golden medicine!

There is an ancient Chinese saying that calls for “eating honey every night.” European folk healers have recommended drinking a cup of warm milk with a teaspoon of honey before bedtime since the Middle Ages. Traditional Mexican healers have long prescribed a teaspoon of honey with chamomile. And yet… nowadays you constantly hear the warning to stop eating after 7pm. How did we adopt such an opposite practice?

It turns out that raw organic honey is a true miracle food to eat directly before you go to sleep. You may be afraid that the sugar content will cause weight gain, but the shocking reality is that it does the opposite: it helps your body burn fat and allows your liver to process toxins effectively. Sounds crazy, I know – but keep reading!

When we go to bed at night we have the chance to activate 1 of 2 types of physiology: recovery or stress.

Our liver is what works so hard to repair our bodies while we rest, so which one you experience boils down to whether or not your liver has enough fuel to do the reparation in the first place. This fuel is called glycogen.

The average adult liver can only store about 75 grams of glycogen at a time, and your body rapidly consumes it at the rate of 10 grams of glycogen per hour. This is not a problem if you’re eating regularly throughout the day (and should highlight the importance of not skipping meals to avoid highs and lows!)

However, this also means that if you ate your last meal at 6pm, your liver glycogen levels will be close to depleted by the time your head hits the pillow at 11pm. If you go to bed with a hungry (depleted) liver, the brain thinks it’s starving, and is forced to activate adrenal stress hormones which degrade muscle mass to create new glucose.

You see, although our brain makes up only 2% of our entire body mass, it’s the most energy demanding organ, burning up to 20 times the fuel of any other cell in the body. Imagine the type of energy it’s using at night to catalogue our memories and work through our emotions via dreams.

Stress hormones = weight gain

When a depleted liver triggers the brain to release stress hormones (like adrenaline and cortisol), several things can happen.

You can experience anxiety throughout the night that prevents you from getting quality sleep.

You may wake up and not be able to get back to sleep because your adrenals are in overdrive.

Worst of all, you’re more likely to store fat and gain weight thanks to the elevated cortisol levels which take you far away from recovery and right into stress mode. Slow wave sleep is the key time for both fat metabolism and cell regeneration, so missing this window day after day takes a huge toll on us.

The Honey Revolution

In the book “The Honey Revolution: Restoring the Health of Future Generations,” Dr. Ron Fesseden, MD explains that raw honey contains “an ideal ratio of fructose to glucose” to support the liver, which as I explained is working so hard during our sleep cycle.

If we selectively re-supply the liver with honey prior to bed, we activate the recovery hormones such as melatonin that are exclusively fat burning.

How?! Well, let’s look at the Honey/Insulin/Melatonin Cycle (HYMN) thanks to Nathaniel Altman, author of The Honey Prescription.

image001_1_

1. The glucose portion of the honey passes from the gut, through the liver and into the general circulation producing a mild glucose spike.

2. The mild elevation in blood sugar (from glucose) prompts a controlled release of insulin from the pancreas.

3. The presence of insulin in the general circulation drives tryptophan into the brain.

4. Tryptophan is converted to serotonin, a key hormone that promotes relaxation.

5. In darkness, serotonin is converted to melatonin in the pineal gland.

6. Melatonin activates sleep by reducing body temperature and other mechanisms. It also inhibits the release of more insulin from the pancreas, thus preventing a rapid drop in blood sugar level.

7. Melatonin promotes the release of growth hormone. Growth hormone is the hormone governing all of recovery physiology. This is the key first step in the recovery or restorative physiology that occurs overnight (with proper fuel).

8. A cascade of recovery hormones initiates the repair, maintenance and rebuilding of bone, muscle and other body tissues.

9. At the same time, the fructose portion of the honey carries out its critical role. The liver takes up fructose where some is converted to glucose and then liver glycogen, thus providing the brain with a sustained supply of glucose for the night fast.

10. Additionally, fructose regulates glucose uptake into the liver by prompting release of glucokinase from the hepatocyte nuclei. Thus, fructose ensures good liver glycogen supply overnight and prevents a major glucose/insulin spike as referred to in step 1.

11. An adequate liver glycogen supply means that stress hormones need not be released. Recovery takes place, and the body is calm and happy!

TL;DR Version?

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 2.31.03 PM

We cannot optimize body fat metabolism or recovery processes overnight when we go to bed with a depleted liver. A depleted liver activate stress hormones which inhibit glucose metabolism, inhibit fat metabolism, and cause the body to gain weight. This can be easily prevented by eating honey prior to bedtime as it provides adequate fuel for the liver during the night fast. Honey intelligently restocks the liver selectively without digestive burden and forms a stable supply of liver glycogen which our brain demands for the 8 hrs of night fast – when we sleep. Honey also contributes to the release of melatonin, which is the hormone required for both the recovery and rebuilding of body tissues during rest. Melatonin is highly anti-cancer and absolutely necessary for healthy cells!

It’s wise that we go back to our grandparent’s routine of a late night snack before bed. Although honey is best due to the fructose/glucose ratio, you can have another light snack such as fruit to fuel your liver.

References

– Nathaniel Altman, The Honey Prescription

– Dr. Ron Fesseden, The Honey Revolution

– Sleepless in America – A Pathway to Obesity? – http://bit.ly/1MA3QEW

Maha

Hi Olivia, Just stumbled upon your page a few days ago. Love it! Your story is an inspiration to me. I am also in the journey of learning about my body. Would you be able to recommend me a good brand for raw honey? I don’t know which to choose or trust. Thank you.

dana

Hi Maha, Look for raw honey at your local farmers market, that would be the healthiest for you as an individual because the bees would be feeding on local plants – Team Organic Olivia

Karrie

Hi Olivia! How much honey do you think is good before bed? A teaspoon? Thanks!

Toni Massey

How much weight on average do u lose on raw honey at night

Dennis

What is the difference between pure and raw honey

Mercy gamboa

Can you drink the honey with warm water before bed and will it do the same burn fat

Sharon Davis-Foots

CAN HONEY BE TAKEN WITH WARM WATER TO GET THE SAME EFFECT

Annie

Can you put the honey in herbal tea or warm water before bed?

Carol

Can you use any honey !

Jill Scott

Could you please post me the information on honey and sleeplessness so I can share it with my Facebook friend.s.

Jill Scott

Could you please Facebook me the information on honey an sleeplessness so I can share.

Carly

Hi Olivia. What brand of raw honey do you suggest?!

Michelle

How much honey should one take

Rosie

How much honey should you consume? 1tsp, 1tbsp?

Val

Is there a certain time to eat the honey before bed?

Kurt Schoenberger

I work swing shifts , how will it affect my sleep habits when sleeping during the day?

Sandra Drexler

I have a routine at bedtime of a tablespoon of raw unfiltered honey,my question is I also take medication at bedtime,will this affect the liver glycogyn refueling the liver at rest?

Tara

That is really awesome 🙂 Thank you

Rose

How often can I have honey a day as I have a sweet tooth

Genna

How much honey should I take just before bed? Should it be warmed as well?

Nicole

Which honey do you use? Or a certain brand your prefer? 🙂

Lynette

Hi Olivia! can you consume the honey with something else (particularly a tea), or is it better to eat it on its own?

nadira

i have honey from d honey comb

Christina Vargas

Hi, Olivia! I have a question! Does the honey have to be raw in order to have these benefits.I have Organic pure honey which is more syrupy. Will this do the job?

I do prefer raw, especially for eating straight at night where you won’t be heating it! But in the past I have used pure with similar effects. I’d say use up the one you have, and snag a raw honey next 🙂

Marion

I came across this post a few weeks ago. I didn’t have a sleeping problem previously but I decided to try this anyway and now I sleep EVEN BETTER. I’ve been doing this for about 2 weeks now, and its true, I didn’t gain any weight from the sugar 🙂 instagram: @marionstjoan

Sue Quarto

Perfect timing – my sister’s pre-teen is having trouble sleeping – will pass on this information to her. Thank you!

@ORGANIC_OLIVIA 220K followers
I just posted a new blog post & it’s one of those long personal ones like my post after Jamaica on shame & attitudes surrounding sex. This one is called “HOW THE PHYSICAL CAN MIRROR THE EMOTIONAL: MY SCAR STORY” and it veers into lots of emotional/spiritual talk (like mentioning the heart chakra and energetic blockages). If that’s not your thing, skip this one… but if it is, click the link in my bio to read because I felt it was important to share.❤️
🔸
Here’s an excerpt from the post… 👇🏼
🔸
Do you ever think about how emotions can manifest physically in our bodies, whether consciously or subconsciously? Some manifestations are more obvious: stomach “butterflies” when you’re worried or excited, the urge to empty your bladder when you’re scared, or your blood pressure skyrocketing from anger. And yet other manifestations are much more subtle and complex… starving our bodies of nourishment when we hate what we see in the mirror, or abusing a damaging vice (such as drugs) when emotional pain becomes too much to bear.
🔸
When I was 16, I did something very strange to my body. 🔸
I was always the “good girl” - an overachiever who wanted to be PERFECT physically, academically, and any other “ly” I could control. I never wanted tattoos or even a second ear piercing. And yet one day, I woke up and asked someone to pierce my chest — exactly where you see the scar above.
🔸
NONE of my friends could understand why I wanted or did this. I certainly couldn’t figure it out myself. Now 8 years later, it finally makes sense… but we need to go back a bit further first.
🔸
When I was 14, I got into a relationship with an older boy who made me feel extremely special. I thought that feeling was love, but I now understand it was the highs & lows of a game called control. This person hated when I wore certain clothing (even just shorts) to school because “other guys would look at me.” And of course, I was HIS and only his to look at - a bond of ownership that a vulnerable girl with a chaotic home saw as a privilege… READ THE REST OF THE POST @ THE LINK IN MY BIO 👆🏼❤️
SWIPE👉🏼 THANK YOU @FATHEADFRANCES! 😭💘 Forget diamonds… MAGNESIUM is a girl’s best friend. 💎 And yes, I bedazzled my own magnesium kit just for the purpose of this pun. #Dedication ✨ While you’re waiting on the launch of our topical cramp relief salve (which is meant to provide women with a safe self-care tool for immediate relief), give our anti-stress magnesium kit a try to get to the ROOT of the problem. The link is in my bio! 👆🏼
🔸
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, increasing magnesium is one effective way of treating menstrual cramps, as well as other types of menstrual-related pain including headaches and nausea. 🔥
👉🏼 Why? Because magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant! Proper levels are crucial for relaxing both blood vessels AND muscle tension/contractions (including painful menstrual cramping). 👉🏼 Magnesium controls the entry of calcium into each and every cell - this process happens every time a nerve cell fires. Without enough magnesium, too much calcium gets inside the cell resulting in cramping, blood vessel constriction, migraines and anxiety. (Magnesium is required for our muscles to relax, while calcium is needed for contraction).
👉🏼 Red blood cell magnesium is found to be lower in women who have PMS compared to those who don’t. The same was found in headache & migraine sufferers!
👉🏼 On top of all this, magnesium has major benefits for the edema, bloating, depression & mood swings that often accompany menstrual pain. Without going into too much detail, it helps regulate the HPA axis AND decreases something called ‘aldosterone’ which is a major cause of fluid retention.
🔸
✨TO USE MAGNESIUM AS A NATURAL THERAPY FOR CRAMPS: Take 350 mg daily for at least three days leading up to menstruation, continuing through your full cycle. For best results, take 100-300mg daily the rest of the month to replenish stores on a cellular level. ✔️350mg = 1 serving (2 tsp) of our CALM THE MIND magnesium tea, OR
✔️10 sprays of our CALM THE BODY magnesium spray 3x a day. I find it very helpful to spread out these 3 applications morning/noon/night, as a continual intake helps to consistently smooth tense muscle.❤️
😳😳 This is a still frame from the 12:23 mark of my Gua Sha video - all I did was add a black line down the center so you can see the difference between the two sides of my face! 👀The “before” side I didn’t touch with my tools yet, and the “after” side was from the 5-10 minute demo I did scraping in an upward/outwards motion. ✨ It’s like I got a face lift 😂 and my eye looks SO much more open. NO magical creams, just an ancient massage technique that anyone can do at home! That’s what happens when you release the tight fascia and muscles in your face that hold onto so much emotional tension and stress. This is AMAZING for perfectionists and anyone with anxiety who holds tension in their jaw. If you grind your teeth at night, try this right before bed and focus on your neck/jawline area. .
If you haven’t seen my video yet, I embedded it into the new blog post @ the link in my bio. 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼 The blog post contains a written version of everything I said in the video, links to where I got my Gua Sha tools, AND at the end has a whole section dedicated to information about the lymphatic system. ✔️ Why? Because this Gua Sha scraping massage technique is meant to move any stagnant lymphatic fluid in the face that contributes to puffiness, premature aging and blemishes. .
🚨It goes much deeper than beauty, though - did you know that your lymphatic system is twice as big as your circulatory system? (It has a whole network of lymph vessels just like your blood vessels). Yet while your circulatory system has your heart to pump and clean your blood automatically, your lymph has NO built-in pump whatsoever. Lymph only moves manually through exercise, massage, and diet; which is why it’s so easy to get backed up with our modern lifestyle. 🍕 In the blog post I talk about symptoms of a sluggish lymphatic system, the 6 most common causes, and 7 solutions you can implement today to get things moving. 🌀🔥
When you learn about aphrodisiac herbs in class on Valentine's Day