$1 Breakfast with a Wealth of Benefits

• Published on: 09 April, 2015

sweettato

Is it possible to eat an organic diet on a budget?

Eating organic does not have to break the bank – unless you’re still buying packaged food! A bag of Lay’s Potato Chips costs $1.25. That’s .44 c/oz, to a whopping $7 per pound. It’s the same exact scenario with organic junk food.

Processed food seems cheap due to the small quantities in which it’s sold, but my organic sweet potatoes were on sale for $1.79/lb! My local Mrs. Greens also has organic apples for $1.49/lb this week, along with 2 for $3 organic avocados. I only buy what’s on sale, and usually what’s in season (since seasonal foods grow in abundance and thus are lower in price due to supply). Of course $7.99 for organic strawberries in the winter is outrageous. That’s why you snag them in the summer when they’re meant to be eaten to balance the climate — they often go on sale for as low as $2.99 in June.

Think about this – a Big Mac is $5.23 in New York. Many of my friends who claim they “can’t afford to eat healthy” regularly frequent McDonalds because at the moment, 5 bucks (not including tax) seems like a steal for dinner. What you’re paying your hard earned $5 for is a total of 3.2 ounces of factory farmed, diseased meat that was raised in horrific and unsanitary conditions. (Being the parasite-cleanse-loving kinda chick I am, this makes me shudder) Along with the small amount of meat, you get 2 pieces of the lowest quality bread you can imagine, pumped with fillers and high fructose corn syrup.

Let’s look at the other end of the spectrum: At Whole Foods, which is the priciest health food store of them all, you can get 16 ounces of wild-caught mahi mahi filets for $11.99. That’s enough to feed two people twice the protein of a Big Mac, for $6 per person – the exact same price as Mickey D’s. Plus, you get the added bonus that the wild fish is not pumped with genetically modified grains, antibiotics, and who knows what else.

If you pair your fish with a side of rice or quinoa (available for $1.99/pound or less in the bulk section of your local market) and a vegetable, your meal would still be under $10 and give you more nutrition than fast food ever could. You can easily cut that number down by opting for beans or even organic pastured chicken instead of fish. Wild fish is expensive, so I chose it as an example to show an extreme. Making a large batch of soup or chili that lasts several meals is a much cheaper, and equally delicious.

My favorite $1 breakfast

When I first met Lily, she told me: “Go home, drink ginger tea when you wake up, and eat 1 sweet potato for breakfast. Come back in a week.”

Yes, I thought she was crazy. But soon, I was hooked. There is nothing more satisfying than a steamy, sweet-like-candy Japanese yam in the morning. The orange ones are excellent too, but you HAVE to try these. I will never go back!

Japanese sweet potato wagashi (5)

Later on, she explained that sweet potatoes are the ultimate healing food. They are shaped like a kidney, and in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the kidneys represent the entire reproductive system:

10462358_421534931321462_662176537990211661_n

In terms of energy, the yellow to orange flesh vibrates with the solar plexus and sacral chakras, strengthening the stomach, genitals, and womb. Nature is incredible, because that’s exactly the areas of the body that the sweet potato nourishes.

__9220304

Benefits of Sweet Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes have been used for centuries by TCM to:

* detoxify the body

* increase the production of milk in breastfeeding women

* and in the treatment of diarrhea, constipation, water retention/swelling, bloating, liver stagnation, diabetes, and breast cysts.

Lily always says, “You can close your eyes and know every Western patient that walks through the door has ‘Spleen’ deficiency, Liver stagnation, and needs ginger tea.” Spleen” means the stomach in TCM.

spleen-energy-functions

“Sweet” is the flavor that tonifies the Spleen; but not overly sweet foods like refined sugar or even high sugar fruit. This incredible potato’s muted sweetness gives you just the right amount, and will end sweet cravings later in the day. Cravings for sweets are always due to the ‘Spleen’ aka stomach being very weak. How well your stomach functions controls your entire immune system, because the stomach is responsible for transforming the nutrients from food into energy for the body and immune response.

The stomach is also the “mother of the Lung” in TCM, which means that if the stomach is weak, the Lung will be weak too. (“Lung” represents your entire respiratory system). Asthma is actually a result of a weak stomach failing to provide nourishment to the lungs, and thus is worsened by cold, damp, sugary foods. It’s the Lung’s responsibility to take the energy from food (that the stomach has transformed in the first place), and spread it all throughout the body.

So grab a sweet potato, pop it in your oven at 400 for 30-40 minutes while you get ready in the morning, and dig in. It is the single greatest food for nourishing the kidneys, ‘spleen,’ and thus the entire immune system. Plus, it’s the cheapest breakfast in town! Enjoy!

amy

Can you have ginger tea later on the day before lunch or dinner? How much water do you use in your tea? Is it better to have a sweet potato or fruit in the morning?

Kylie Carlson

What do you garnish your sweet potatoes with? Vegan butter seems complicated to make and I do not trust most of the alternatives at the store. (Go Veggie! cheese that contains dairy? Yuck!) Thank you! -Kylie (a new vegan, lol)

Hey Kylie, I do not eat a vegan diet although my diet is highly plant-centered. I put raw, organic grass-fed butter on my sweet potato, which I get delivered from a local organic farm! Grass-fed butter is incredibly high in Vitamin K2, which is not found in plant foods (K1 is in plant foods). Weston A. Price called Vitamin K2 the “x-factor” for healthy teeth.

Maria

Hi Olivia, First of all thank you for all of the amazing knowledge you share with us. I have a question about your breakfast: are the ginger tea and sweet potato all you have, or do you have those first and then follow up with something else? Thanks 🙂

Anne

Hi Olivia, thankyou for what you are doing. Do you ship your cleanses and teas to Australia? Thanks !

Turi

Hey Olivia – love your posts! But is one potato all you eat for breakfast? Our sweet potatos might be smaller in Norway, but that doesn´t seem like enough for me. Do you eat anything else right after or do you wait and eat a big lunch? Sorry, I just burn off food quickly, and I am very used to a big breakfast so I am curious. Anyways, I am very glad to have stumbled upon your blog. You are doing great work! – it all just makes sense to me and I have been an avid reader for some time now. Too bad your parasite kits doesn´t ship to Europe :/ 😉 Be well, Turi

Hey Turi! I have a large sweet potato with ginger tea to start me off (it fills me up because of all the starch I guess?) – and then if I get hungry an hour or two later I have a snack such as a small cup of soup, some nuts, carrots, etc – whatever I’m in the mood for. I always listen to my body and if I’m hungry I eat. And yes, my lunch is definitely big! It’s my largest meal of the day. Thank you so much for your comment 🙂

Aryanna

Do you know anything about what treatment I can do to get rid of the dark spots left behind from blemishes? will the oil work to help heal those spots as well?

Rossemary

Olivia, Do you except personal checks or money orders for the things you sell? We don’t “do” credit cards or things like Pay Pal or things like that. Thanks, Rosemary

Isla Bonifield

Thank you a million times for being my go to health guru! I am so thankful I stumbled upon your blog…I’ve struggled with gut issues all my life and this article is exactly what I needed. Preparing for my 1st parasite cleanse & planning on ordering your kit the next time it comes out! <3 Lots of love to you goddess

Chloe

Hi Olivia. I’m a teenager suffering from acne and I have some symptoms of parasites. I was wondering if the parasite cleanse is safe to do for teenagers, considering my parents are against the idea. Thank you!

Marianita Cabrigas

Thank you Ms. Olivia! Grateful for all your posts specially the ginger tea, currently in my 3 Months of ginger-ing and pimple no more❤️❤️❤️ Next step parasite cleansing! Hope i can buy from you! Blessing in abundance to you and Ms. Lily

KRB

How do you make your ginger tea? Do you just pop the potato in the oven? Thanks for sharing such GREAT information!

Thank you! 🙂 I chop and smash the ginger, then boil it in water for 10 minutes to make a tea. I add Chinese brown sugar or coconut sugar to balance the heat with sweetness. I pop the potato in the oven at 400 for 30-40 minutes every morning while I get ready! xox

Heather

I love reading all of your posts! 🙂 Should I only eat sweet potatoes in the winter or can I benefit from eating it all year?

Thank you! I eat them ALL year long because they make me feel so good. They have a neutral energy so they are suitable for any climate. 🙂