Why You Should Drink Hot Water (NOT Cold)!

• Published on: 10 December, 2014

This post is a collaboration with my amazing Chinese Medicine Doctor, Lily!

All of her life, Lily’s mom (and her father who was a wonderful Chinese herbalist) told her to never drink cold water or eat cold food. To this day, they both drink piping hot water. This is a habit that has absolutely changed my life!

In TCM, water is cold and yin by nature, yet the stomach is the stove of our body. It’s our fire pit that we throw logs (food) into to keep us going throughout the day. If it’s not burning up, our metabolism and ‘inner fire’ (energy, libido) won’t be burning up either. Our “logs” will sit there, not digesting properly. We need fire to cook and transform nutrients to different parts of the body. Long term consumption of cold water slowly turns off the heat, resulting abnormal function of digestion, leading to malnutrition & poor immune system. Too much cold accumulation in our body also cause poor circulation, intestinal cramps, & abdominal pain.

• For young children, their organs are delicate. After consuming lots of cold foods (cold milk, ice cream, sandwiches, salads) and cold water/juices, their stoves become colder and colder, leading to all kinds of digestion problems, sinus problem, allergies, hay fever, asthma, etc.
  • In the “Yellow Emperor’s Master Classic of Chinese Medicine,” a cold constitution with cold drinks hurts the lung (cold constitution here means overconsumption of cold foods which turns our body type to cold). In the 5 elements, the stomach is the mother of lung. When the mother (stomach) is sick, it can’t take care of the son (lung). After a while, the son gets sick (allergies, sinus infections, & asthma). We need to keep up the fire of the stove,  thus helping the mother (stomach) to get healthy, in order to cure and save the son (lung). Just like when we travel on an airplane, we need to put the oxygen mask on ourselves first before our son.
  • Excessive drinking of cold water also affects the development and physiological functions of the reproductive system. For young ladies, it can cause menstrual cramps, menstrual disorders & excessive discharge. Overaccumulation of cold creates a “chilled palace” which is an extremely cold uterus, ovaries, ovarian tube & leads to overgrowth of dampness (CANDIDA, PARASITES), fibroids, ovarian cysts, tumors, dysmenorrhea, infertility.
  • When we get hurt, we use an ice pack to calm pain/swelling. When we drink ice water while we are eating, it’s like putting an ice pack on our stomach! It slows down our fullness sensations, causing overeating.

If you look at a thermal imaging camera, the stomach is always red/orange (hot) even though our hands may often be green/blue (cold). Our hands/feet will be especially cold if we have fatigue, swelling, and menstrual cramps; which are all yang (heat) deficiency symptoms. On that same thermal imaging camera, water is very dark blue. The water element is yin by nature. If you drink that dark blue cold fluid, your red hot stomach begins to turn blue/cold as well… NOT good.

What happens when you put sautéed vegetables, soup, or steak in the fridge? The fat solidifies. We eat healthy fats all day. What happens if we put cold drinks on top of that fat? That’s right! It solidifies in our stomachs, building up that gunk. If you drink HOT liquids, they will literally help your body melt away the fat/food and use it for energy (helps with weight loss!)

Some of you may be thinking… okay, but what about in the summer? What if it’s hot outside? A cold drink is refreshing, don’t we need it for balance?

Not quite. What happens when you have a hot pan? If you put a drop of cold water on it, steam and moisture explodes. The same thing happens in your body (as above, so below!) Putting cold water in a hot body creates moisture and dampness. What loves to grow in damp areas? Bacteria, candida, and parasites… especially in your stomach and uterus. “Dampness” in TCM actually means pathogens and parasites.

There is an old Chinese story about a man about to have a heat stroke. A woman in the woods makes him tea instead of the ice water he asked for to ‘cool him down’. “Why hot tea?! I’m overheating!” She insisted he drink it and he immediately felt better. If she gave him cold water, his body would have had to compensate for it by heating up more, which would be the real cause of heat stroke. The hot tea allowed his body to relax, calm down, and cool itself down instead of compensating for the difference in temperature.

Michael

Thank you, I’m so happy to have found your website, I’ve tried 1 of your recommended products and they’ve worked superbly. You’re amazing

amanda jackson

Very interesting. Can’t wait to learn more.

Linda

Thank you for explaining this whole concept of putting cold/hot things into our bodies. I love drinking water, but always drink it either cool or room temperature. I will start bringing a thermos of warm water with me, instead of the water bottle. Thanks again.

Amy

Olivia, Can you tell me the brand name of the pitcher in the picture in this article? Thanks!

Dani

Hi Olivia, Is ok to drink room temperature water? I would like to know the same question as another reader mention: Should I take my refrigerate smoothie out for about an hour or room temperature? Or should I stop consuming smoothie because majority of the smoothie recipes are cold drinks?

Cristina

Hi Olivia! I just came back after living in Beijing, China for more than a year and was constantly surrounded by my Chinese friends telling me to drink hot water and its benefits. I was skeptical at first but i do believe it has SO many benefits! I’m looking to pursue a lot more research on Chinese medicine and its benefits! Keep rocking on!

Sarina

Hi Olivia, I have been drinking room temperature drinks now. I wanted to ask about smoothies? Should I not refrigerate a smoothie after making it? I usually try and take it out of the fridge an hour before I want to drink it. Thanks!

Michelle Taylor

Wow…. Very good info.

Kaitlin

Olivia, I just want you to know how much ginger tea alone has changed my life. I swear its not only the ginger–it's the warmth from the hot water! My allergies have essentially disappeared, my lungs (normally I would be in the hospital 5x per winter) are working BETTER than they ever have, and I don't have stomach issues anymore!! (My stomach issues occurred first, then my asthma got

@ORGANIC_OLIVIA 220K followers
I just posted a new blog post & it’s one of those long personal ones like my post after Jamaica on shame & attitudes surrounding sex. This one is called “HOW THE PHYSICAL CAN MIRROR THE EMOTIONAL: MY SCAR STORY” and it veers into lots of emotional/spiritual talk (like mentioning the heart chakra and energetic blockages). If that’s not your thing, skip this one… but if it is, click the link in my bio to read because I felt it was important to share.❤️
🔸
Here’s an excerpt from the post… 👇🏼
🔸
Do you ever think about how emotions can manifest physically in our bodies, whether consciously or subconsciously? Some manifestations are more obvious: stomach “butterflies” when you’re worried or excited, the urge to empty your bladder when you’re scared, or your blood pressure skyrocketing from anger. And yet other manifestations are much more subtle and complex… starving our bodies of nourishment when we hate what we see in the mirror, or abusing a damaging vice (such as drugs) when emotional pain becomes too much to bear.
🔸
When I was 16, I did something very strange to my body. 🔸
I was always the “good girl” - an overachiever who wanted to be PERFECT physically, academically, and any other “ly” I could control. I never wanted tattoos or even a second ear piercing. And yet one day, I woke up and asked someone to pierce my chest — exactly where you see the scar above.
🔸
NONE of my friends could understand why I wanted or did this. I certainly couldn’t figure it out myself. Now 8 years later, it finally makes sense… but we need to go back a bit further first.
🔸
When I was 14, I got into a relationship with an older boy who made me feel extremely special. I thought that feeling was love, but I now understand it was the highs & lows of a game called control. This person hated when I wore certain clothing (even just shorts) to school because “other guys would look at me.” And of course, I was HIS and only his to look at - a bond of ownership that a vulnerable girl with a chaotic home saw as a privilege… READ THE REST OF THE POST @ THE LINK IN MY BIO 👆🏼❤️
SWIPE👉🏼 THANK YOU @FATHEADFRANCES! 😭💘 Forget diamonds… MAGNESIUM is a girl’s best friend. 💎 And yes, I bedazzled my own magnesium kit just for the purpose of this pun. #Dedication ✨ While you’re waiting on the launch of our topical cramp relief salve (which is meant to provide women with a safe self-care tool for immediate relief), give our anti-stress magnesium kit a try to get to the ROOT of the problem. The link is in my bio! 👆🏼
🔸
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, increasing magnesium is one effective way of treating menstrual cramps, as well as other types of menstrual-related pain including headaches and nausea. 🔥
👉🏼 Why? Because magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant! Proper levels are crucial for relaxing both blood vessels AND muscle tension/contractions (including painful menstrual cramping). 👉🏼 Magnesium controls the entry of calcium into each and every cell - this process happens every time a nerve cell fires. Without enough magnesium, too much calcium gets inside the cell resulting in cramping, blood vessel constriction, migraines and anxiety. (Magnesium is required for our muscles to relax, while calcium is needed for contraction).
👉🏼 Red blood cell magnesium is found to be lower in women who have PMS compared to those who don’t. The same was found in headache & migraine sufferers!
👉🏼 On top of all this, magnesium has major benefits for the edema, bloating, depression & mood swings that often accompany menstrual pain. Without going into too much detail, it helps regulate the HPA axis AND decreases something called ‘aldosterone’ which is a major cause of fluid retention.
🔸
✨TO USE MAGNESIUM AS A NATURAL THERAPY FOR CRAMPS: Take 350 mg daily for at least three days leading up to menstruation, continuing through your full cycle. For best results, take 100-300mg daily the rest of the month to replenish stores on a cellular level. ✔️350mg = 1 serving (2 tsp) of our CALM THE MIND magnesium tea, OR
✔️10 sprays of our CALM THE BODY magnesium spray 3x a day. I find it very helpful to spread out these 3 applications morning/noon/night, as a continual intake helps to consistently smooth tense muscle.❤️
😳😳 This is a still frame from the 12:23 mark of my Gua Sha video - all I did was add a black line down the center so you can see the difference between the two sides of my face! 👀The “before” side I didn’t touch with my tools yet, and the “after” side was from the 5-10 minute demo I did scraping in an upward/outwards motion. ✨ It’s like I got a face lift 😂 and my eye looks SO much more open. NO magical creams, just an ancient massage technique that anyone can do at home! That’s what happens when you release the tight fascia and muscles in your face that hold onto so much emotional tension and stress. This is AMAZING for perfectionists and anyone with anxiety who holds tension in their jaw. If you grind your teeth at night, try this right before bed and focus on your neck/jawline area. .
If you haven’t seen my video yet, I embedded it into the new blog post @ the link in my bio. 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼 The blog post contains a written version of everything I said in the video, links to where I got my Gua Sha tools, AND at the end has a whole section dedicated to information about the lymphatic system. ✔️ Why? Because this Gua Sha scraping massage technique is meant to move any stagnant lymphatic fluid in the face that contributes to puffiness, premature aging and blemishes. .
🚨It goes much deeper than beauty, though - did you know that your lymphatic system is twice as big as your circulatory system? (It has a whole network of lymph vessels just like your blood vessels). Yet while your circulatory system has your heart to pump and clean your blood automatically, your lymph has NO built-in pump whatsoever. Lymph only moves manually through exercise, massage, and diet; which is why it’s so easy to get backed up with our modern lifestyle. 🍕 In the blog post I talk about symptoms of a sluggish lymphatic system, the 6 most common causes, and 7 solutions you can implement today to get things moving. 🌀🔥
When you learn about aphrodisiac herbs in class on Valentine's Day