Valentine’s Day Strawberry Oreos!
- Published on: 12 February, 2014
- Last update: 12 February, 2014
Ok, who else can polish off a sleeve of oreos? Just me? K. I’m sitting here writing this blog post with a bowl of leafy greens wishing these oreos were still here (thanks dad)! Fortunately, I’ll be making them again Friday for my honey on V-Day, even if I have two midterms 🙁 Wish me luck!
You can seriously get creative with these guys. To make the chocolatey wafers, I used a mix of cacao powder and maca powder. You can just use cacao, but since the theme of this recipe is Valentine’s Day, the maca was a must!
Maca is a root from Peru. It’s a tuber (like a potato) and offers an amazing energy boost without caffiene. Maca is packed with nutrition, a superfood in fact! It has a high amount of minerals, vitamins, enzymes, and ALL of the essential amino acids. It’s rich in B vitamins, calcium, and magnesium. Here’s the best part: it helps to balance hormones. This in turn makes it an aphrodisiac! Maca has been used as an aphrodisiac for thousands of years, even in the Incan civilization of South America. It was so prized for its potency that it was only given to members of the royal court.
Scientific experiments have shown that those who eat maca experience an increase not only in sexual desire, but also in fertility. Eat up! 😉
– 2 cups gluten free oat flour
– 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 3 tablespoons milk of your choice
– 2 tablespoons coconut oil
– 1 cup coconut butter
– 2 to 3 teaspoons of ground vanilla bean
– 1/4 cup raw coconut nectar. you can also use grade b maple syrup! (you can use more than 1/4 cup, depends how sweet you want it, taste it)
– 3 to 4 organic strawberries
1. For the cookies, mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet in another. Combine them and mix well.
2. Chill the dough for an hour or so.
3. Roll into balls and press flat into cookie shapes on parchment paper.
4. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes (check them often to make sure they don’t overcook).
5. Cool the cookies before putting frosting on!
6. Blend all ingredients for the filling in a food processor. Taste to see if it’s super sweet like oreo filling. If not, add a little more coconut nectar.
7. Spread filling onto cookies! Hope your lovebug enjoys these!