Healthy Treat: Caramel Sea Salt Coconut Chips
- Published on: 02 February, 2014
- Last update: 02 February, 2014
It’s Superbowl Sunday, so I figured I’d make a snack that would be a hit at any party! I’m obsessed with coconut chips – I recently tried “Dang,” a company that makes toasted coconut tossed in either cane sugar or coconut sugar. Since coconut sugar is low-glycemic and is the only sugar I use in baking, I jumped on the opportunity to cook up a homemade version!
- Coconut is naturally sweet itself and can satisfy any sweet tooth.
- Coconut fat is the only saturated far in the world that actually makes you lose weight – a farmer tried to feed coconut oil to his animals in 1929 in an effort to fatten them up, and they suddenly had revved metabolisms and lean muscle tone!
- Coconut is the richest source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). MCT’s are used for energy only; they do not circulate into the blood stream like other fats. They are metabolized immediately in the liver and converted into energy.
- Coconut can boost thyroid function and prevent tooth decay.
The best part is, organic coconut chips ARE SO CHEAP!!! I can’t believe I was spending $2.69 on Dang per bag when coconut chips are about $3 a POUND at Whole Foods (which hikes up the price of everything anyway)! Coconut chips weigh next to nothing so you’re really getting your money’s worth.
– tray of organic coconut chips (just spread them out as I did)
– coconut nectar
– coconut sugar
– sea salt
Coconut nectar is what comes right out of the coconut. Coconut sugar is the dried version of the nectar. They are both highly nutrition – more nutritious than agave nectar. They are, in my eyes, the superior sweetener choice!
Simply drizzle the nectar over the chips. Sprinkle the sugar in moderation – you just want to make sure a few granules touch each chip. If you don’t have the sugar, just use the nectar, and vice versa. I only used both because I had them and figured I’d mix it up! Add a few sprinkles of sea salt and you’re done. Bake at 350 for 4-5 minutes and WATCH CLOSELY because they will burn!! 😉