Help This 7-Year-Old Get GMOs Out of Girl Scout Cookies!
- Published on: 24 January, 2014
- Last update: 04 August, 2017
This is so incredibly close to my heart. I was a Girl Scout and loved every minute of it – I have some of my best memories from Girl Scout “slumber parties” at a roller rink! We literally broke out sleeping bags after we finished rollerskating, and had one huge sleepover with all troops in the area. There were karaoke contests, bracelet-making stations, everything you could need to inspire children to be creative and crafty. I believe I developed many skills during my time with the GSA. One of those skills was how to sell Girl Scout Cookies (even though they basically sell themselves)….
Yes, just 10 years ago you could find me going door to door, selling GMOs. How could I have known? How could anyone have known? That’s the problem we’re fighting here. No one is being informed or warned.
Any product that is not organic in America is usually genetically modified. That’s how bad it has become. The cookies are made with corn, soybean oil, milk, eggs, etc… all GMO crops and animal products. Let’s have a look:
GMO ingredients in Tagalongs: Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Dextrose, Invert Sugar, Cornstarch, Soy Lecithin, Artificial Flavor.
- Before we even talk about GMOs, WHY are there hydrogenated oils in children’s cookies?
GMO ingredients in Trefoils: Soybean Oil, Sugar, Brown Sugar [brown sugar is now usually comprised of GMO sugar plus molasses], Soy Lecithin, Artificial Flavor.
- Why so much artificial flavoring? Why so much soy in all of these young girls’ products?
- “Female rats fed GMO soy for 15 months showed significant changes in their uterus and reproductive cycle, compared to rats fed organic soy or those raised without soy.” Published in The Anatomical Record in 2009, this finding adds to the mounting body of evidence suggesting that GMO foods contribute to reproductive disorders.
- In addition, the lining of the uterus (endometrium) had more cells than normal and the glands were dilated.
- According to senior UK pathologist Stanley Ewen, something in the GM soy diet was “wrecking the ovary and endometrium” of the rats.
|This troop in Missouri hosted their own NON-GMO bake sale to show the Girl Scouts of America how it’s really done.|
What’s the worst part of it all?
The Girl Scouts of America DO NOT CARE. Guess what they released in a statement? “For the time being, we feel confident in the safety of all the ingredients in Girl Scout Cookies, including GMO ingredients.” Are you kidding me? This showed me the true colors of an organization I used to love. The evidence of the damaging effects of GMOs is so undeniable that it’s a slap in the face for the Girl Scouts to even condone their consumption, never mind allow them into their foods.
How can you help?
The amazing and courageous SEVEN-YEAR-OLD you see in the picture at the top is named Alicia Serratos. She was 6 when the petition was started and has been a Girl Scout for almost 3 years. Her mom is even a Troop leader. She has raised money for her school’s Organic Garden, raised awareness about endangered animals, and more. After researching GMOs with her mother and realizing the terrible effects they had on animals in studies, she said “I want GMOs out of our cookies so they will be safer for my friends and everyone to eat.” She also learned that over 60 countries ban GMOs and doesn’t understand why that can’t happen where she lives. She started this petition because, in her words, “If Girl Scouts don’t make cookies without GMOs, everyone could get sick and not even know it.” This girl is a mini-revolutionist and has inspired me more than she will ever know.