Guilt-Free Pasta: Zucchini Pesto Style
- Published on: 23 January, 2014
- Last update: 26 January, 2016
There is officially nothing easier than this pasta. I was craving pesto gnocchi, a carbohydrate and fat rich Italian meal that will leave you with a food baby and a headache! If it were my cheat day, I’d go right ahead and have some the old-fashioned way, but it’s not. It’s a random Wednesday in January, and I need vegetables. Not pasta. Luckily, everything can be made healthy style! I cannot stress this enough! You can make anything you want into a low-calorie, high nutrient dish.
I realized that a big reason why I was craving the gnocchi was simply the pesto sauce. There is nothing better than the rich, savory base of pine nuts and olive oil as it compliments fresh basil. Zucchini pasta takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with, so basically I was in pesto heaven! It hit the spot.
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- a few basil leaves
- 1/2 purple onion, sliced thinly to match the zucchini angel hair pasta
- 3 zucchini (organic, there is a GMO zucchini)
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- pesto sauce (I already made a recipe here) – if you are a vegan, simply omit the cheese from the pesto and let the pine nuts do their job OR add some cashews!
- Use a julienne peeler to peel zucchini into angel hair strands that look like pasta.
- Sautee chopped garlic, onion, and basil leaves in olive oil on medium heat for a few minutes to get a flavorful base.
- Add your zucchini pasta to the pan and continue to sautee. Continue on medium heat until everything is vibrant with color and fully cooked.
- Plate your now garlic & onion sauteed pasta, and add tomatoes.
- Pour pesto sauce over pasta and garnish with fresh basil. TADA!